Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Entry #66: DON Q OATNEY: VAMPIRE HUNTER

Title: DON Q OATNEY: VAMPIRE HUNTER

Genre: YA Paranormal 

Pitch: 

The week that Becca Sanchez discovers Uncle Don is a total whack-job begins with a moving van and ends in handcuffs. Her creepy history teacher moves in next door. And then her uncle tries to stake him. That’s right, stake. As in vampire.
But when a student goes missing Becca starts to wonder if maybe crazy Uncle Don isn’t so crazy after all. Then she discovers proof: a freezer full of blood in the teacher’s basement. Now she’s got to stop him before he turns the Halloween Dance into his personal high school buffet line.


First sentence: 

“Whoa, do you see that? Someone’s moving into the haunted house.” 

4 comments:

  1. I was a little confused between sentence 1 and 2. Because sentence 1 is like summary sentence, sort of. It works, but I couldn't tell if the next part of back tracking or talking about what happens after the handcuffs. Hopefully this makes sense! Otherwise, I think this is pretty good. Vampires are hard, but you probably know that. I do think this looks very interesting so good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting concept here. I get the feeling the "crazy" uncle must be a fun character. I think the pitch needs a little more developing, and I'm not sure starting with a line of dialog is the strongest intro to your story, but I see definite potential here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I like: I love the idea of someone moving into a haunted house. Fun!

    What I would like: I feel like there’s a lot of bouncing around here and it was hard for me to keep up- Becca, ‘creepy history teacher,’ ‘whack-job uncle’ – help me focus in on Becca and bring the other elements in as part of her story.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the premise, it reminds me of Fright Night to an extent, but I think it could be a lot of fun with crazy relatives involved. What stopped me is the line, "Then she discovers proof: a freezer full of blood in the teacher’s basement." It seems like an awful big leap of faith for me, as a reader, to go from one student disappears to discovering a freezer of blood. Is there anything you could do to increase the tension instead? Great job overall!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your courteous and professional comments for the writer! We'd love to hear from you! : )