Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Entry #54: THE AMULET OF ISIS

Title: THE AMULET OF ISIS

Genre: Middle Grade Fantasy Adventure

Pitch: 

Traveling the world and exploring ancient mysteries may sound exciting, but it’s not. It’s hot. It’s dusty. It’s bor-ing.
Or at least it was.

When 12-year-old Ethan Reid finds an amulet that transports him to ancient Egypt, he and his friends seek the truth behind King Tut’s death. The kids uncover a murder plot and try to save the young pharaoh, but barely escape with their own lives. They return to the present to discover the murderer’s mummy has risen and cursed Ethan’s mom. The only way to save her is by guiding the mummy’s spirit through the treacherous Egyptian underworld to the court of Osiris, where the murderer will pass into the afterlife, taking his dark magic with him. 

If they can get him there.

First sentence:

Traveling the world and exploring ancient wonders may sound fantastic, but trust me, it’s not.

7 comments:

  1. Such a fabulous concept, and I love the hint of voice in the first paragraph of the pitch. Definitely curious about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun story -- the pitch grabbed me right away. I hope the story makes it to the next round so I can read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Voice is very good! I am discovering a lot of really neat MG books in this contest, which surprises me. Egypt is being portrayed in books more and more, but in no way do I feel it is overdone. If anything, I would say interest is climbing. And I love the idea of the amulet. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds awesome! There have been a few books with amulets so you might have some trouble there. But other than that the plot sounds really awesome and fresh and something I would read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I like: I also think this sounds fun and you have a very clean pitch

    What I would like: For me the second paragraph was a little telly and I would love to see it come to life a little more.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your courteous and professional comments for the writer! We'd love to hear from you! : )