Sunday, March 9, 2014

Entry #1: CONDUIT

Title:  CONDUIT

Genre:  NA Paranormal

Word Count:  72,000

Pitch:



Not everyone gets a second chance, unless you ditch the afterlife to become a Conduit—a reincarnated human contracted to reap souls.

For Liv Hartley, it means a new college and new love interest, David. When another Conduit, Asher, steals her first assignment, she second guesses her choice to live twice, especially when her afterlife caseworker rips her a new one. To redeem herself, Liv takes a job delivering a message to a demon. During her mission, her life is threatened, forcing Asher to bind their souls together to protect her. Now, she’d rather slap the bad-boy scowl off this face than kiss him. But Liv can’t deny her attraction to his newly addictive touch.

Even though Liv loves David, the bond with Asher makes her question her choice. When Liv’s assigned to reap David’s soul, she must decide: follow through, or sacrifice her soul, and Asher’s, instead. 
First Page:

All the people with near-death experiences got it wrong. There’s no light at the end of the tunnel. There’s a lobby, like the entrance to a ritzy hotel, with level upon level of balconies that stretch on forever.
“Next!” A disembodied voice thunders from overhead speakers.
The line, with more twists and turns than the one for Space Mountain, moves a few inches. I step forward. The soul in front of me doesn’t. Before I realize what’s happening, I’m standing in him.
“Sorry.” I step back and shake off the Jello-like feel of his energy. Gross.
That’s when I spot the balding Dean of Accounting, Professor Burstein, in his penny loafers and plaid sweater vest. He stalks toward me like I’ve cheated on a test or taken the last cookie at a student-faculty mixer.
“Mr. Burstein?” I can’t keep the surprise, and disgust, from my voice.
On Friday, he’d given a pop-quiz. Governmental Tax Law. If he’s dead, I’m guessing a fellow senior retaliated against his self-aggrandizing soapbox speeches and appearance-based grading pyramid.
“Not exactly, Ms. Lamb. My name is Marvin. I find it’s easier on transitioning souls when I appear as someone they recognize."
I push a lock of frizzy brown hair from my eyes and stare at his gnarly sweater vest. “You can look like anyone?” My gaze moves from his stubby, fat fingers to his shock of orange hair. “I can totally give you a better suggestion.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your courteous and professional comments for the writer! We'd love to hear from you! : )